Friday, July 31, 2009

1.3.: Bub in the Ointment


Now, this is how you do a second episode. It's kind of too bad that it's the third but... The focus is kept right on the main characters. All five of them, except for Chip, get moments to be featured. The show has a slow, steady pace that (apart from the laugh track) feels more like a mini-movie than an episode of a TV show, possibly because of Fred MacMurray. We learn a bit more about each of the characters, filling in some of the gaps left open in the first two episodes, but still leaving lots of space for development. An episode like the last one, as I said, would work better if it were later in the season or if it were so funny that you couldn't deny it. Episode Three isn't as madcap as two and probably not as humorous but it's better television. And, that gives the upcoming episodes a little more shine. I want to see what happens next because I like what happens here

Well, I just wrote my complete review right there. I should probably shift that to the end but I'll leave it where it is. Let's do a little plot and character chat.

The three boys are living their lives but Bub seems to keep embarrassing them. At the PTA meetings for Chip's school, he shocks all the other housewives with his candor and this gets back to Chip and...Oh it hurts! . Robbie (who I'm guessing is around 13 or 14) is in a dramatics class and Bub enters. Immediately, the old man starts giving the teacher tips on how to do vaudeville. Oh the embarrassment! Mike (who must be around 16 or 17) is being visited by a recruiter from State College and Bub dips his wick in...Oh the humanity! Yes, he gets in the way of all three boys. So, they go to Steve and say "Talk to Bub!"

In what I imagine will become a Steve Douglas trademark, he makes some phone calls, arranges a few things (all the while smoking his pipe) and convinces the boys that Bub is OK after all. Bub's swell! Actually, at first, he tries to appeal to the boy's better natures. ("Well, I guess I'll be the one to have to hurt his feelings." "Gosh Dad, don't do that." "Well, Robbie, whoever tells him is going to hurt his feelings, right?") And, Fred MacMurray makes it work. Bub is a bit of a pain in the hole. There's a reason why Fred and Etehl never had kids. But, Steve points out what Bub has done for them. I should have written down the full speech but...

Steve reminds the boys that when their mother died...Bub moved in. He made them laugh when there was nothing they could find to laugh about. Bub gave up the successful movie theater he owned and ran to help them. He deserves to be humored when he forgets himself. And, Steve is right. Of course, the thing I like is that the boys won't stop their Dad from going to talk to Bub until all the little Steve Douglas-chicanery goes through. Then, they see it. Boys will be boys, I guess.

It's nice to see Mike and Robbie get a bit more development. I think, to be honest, Mike is probably my favorite of the Three Sons. Chip is a fun little kid. Robbie is a slightly confused teen. But, Mike has a lot of his Dad in his character. He's more reserved but with a light wit. I suppose that's why his running around in the previous episode seemed strange. This Mike I like. Let's see where they take him from here.

Bub is as ribald as ever. Well, as ribald as one can get on TV in October of 1960. He clearly loves the boys and wants the best for them. He just doesn't like BS and will steamroll himself over whatever he doesn't like. Tactless, sure. Charming, sometimes. Not really the point, though. Bub is an integral part of the house. I think hitting on the "What's this old guy doing there?" issue in the third episode was a wise choice. After the previous episode, I'm not sure if it was done on purpose but it works.

So, I'm giving a Thumbs Up to 2 out of the first 3. Goin' good so far. Let's see what's next.

Next episode: Countdown

No comments:

Post a Comment