Monday, July 20, 2009

Welcome!


Hello. Welcome to the My Three Sons Episode Guide Experiment.

What is it, exactly? Well...

I have another blog that reviews episodes of the1965-1971 sitcom Green Acres. Then, for a change of pace, I have one reviewing individual issues of the MAD-magazine ripoff, CRACKED. The thing that these two review sites have in common is that I know Green Acres and CRACKED very well. I own the Seasons 1-3 DVD box sets of Green Acres. For the remaining three seasons (with only one episode missing), I have TV Land copies. I own a large collection of CRACKED magazines from 1973-1985. I have watched Green Acres all the way through, in order, once. The CRACKED magazines are flipped through on a regular basis. So, when I review them, I write from the point of view of a fan. Someone who knows these works, someone who appreciates them and...this is important... can see down the line towards future events, tying the individual pieces together as a whole. I can mention Lisa Douglas doing something in one episode of Green Acres and reference one hundred episodes ahead, if need be. I can say "The Fonz first appears here" and then tell the readers when to expect the Fonz to reappear in CRACKED.

Writing from that point of view is fun but it can get a little tricky. I have to keep in mind a whole slew of things when I'm writing. And, every once in a while, you lose focus on what you're writing about at that moment because there's so much jumping around. That's how this blog came into my mind. I wanted to come at something cold. If I had thought about this four years ago, this blog would be about Dallas. But, I've thought about it now and chosen My Three Sons to experiment on. In the year 2009, I can get access to almost anything I need so I am deliberately not looking ahead in the show, not hunting down anything on it. I have some knowledge of its history, which I will list in the next post, but not much. I want to begin with Season 1, Episode 1 of My Three Sons and proceed through to the final episode, 12 seasons later. Of course, this brings up one issue...

What if I dislike the show? I have, in preparation, watched the first four episodes and enjoyed them. They're not completely my cup of tea but I am warming to it. The plan is this: I will do a complete review of the 36 episodes of Season One. Then, I will give my thoughts on the season and then...Well, if I like it, onto Season Two! If I don't, Bewitched is still available.

So, join me. Won't you? I know very little about where the show is going and even less about how it gets there. It was on for 12 years! That's a heck of a run. I'm hoping to love it. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment