Sunday, October 17, 2010

1.17.: Mike In A Rush

Mike is deciding whether or not he wants to go to college. He goes to a party with his girlfriend. And, he gets involved with a fraternity because he's a track star at high school...And, Mike lets it all go to his head and becomes, kind of an aloof jerk.

Not a funny episode. The charms come from watching Mike teetering on the end of a high school and the (possibly) realistic depictions of the Fraternity life of early 1961. Oh yes, it's White. Everybody's white. Well, that certainly places it in it's time and, honestly, there's nothing else I'd want from My Three Sons at this time. As the 60's continue, I am very interested to see what it gets up to.

Regardless, there are some humorous moments. "Dad, I'm going to college!" Bub: "Anything to get out of doin' work around here!" The actual frat stuff is very straight-laced, at least from what I can see. I was never part of a Fraternity and, from watching this, it all seems kind of, I don't know, odd. But, Mike warms to it immediately. Unfortunately, his over estimate of his current worth in the eyes of the "KAG" Fraternity and Chip not quite relaying a message to him properly causes some confusion and embarrassment at the Winter Mixer.

It all ends with a guy from the Frat earnestly speaking to Mike about membership and why Mike isn't getting in. Mike is disappointed but...he's one step closer to becoming a man.

Hmmm...The earnestness of the Frat presentations does seem strange to me. It's sad to see Mike get his hopes up so high and then dropped but that's life, that's growing up. Again, like the last episode, it's an important character moment and a nice episode. But, it doesn't really super-grab me like some of the earlier ones.

I wonder if this is the way the show shall carry out from here on in, at least, in this season. I kind of hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment