Tuesday, September 15, 2009

1.9.: Raft On The River

One of the joys of The Simpsons is the way that you think the show is going to be about one thing but then it becomes something else. Sometimes very quickly. This is very quickly becoming something I really enjoy about My Three Sons. Now, My Three Sons goes much slower than The Simpsons but, c'mon, immerse yourself! This is good stuff.

Mike and Robbie are going camping. Chip builds a makeshift raft in the backyard and plans on spending the night out there. It sounds pretty Leave It To Beaver-y, I know. It's only when Steve agrees to spend the night with Chip and the dog in the raft that the episode shifts from charming to awesome. They try to get to sleep and assorted noises and bothers get in their way. At this point, I checked the time and was surprised that we were only halfway in. I said (to no one in particular) "Wouldn't this be awesome if the rest of the episode was them trying to fall asleep?" And...it is. Classic comedy stuff. And, as it gets darker and windier, things become nice and spooky.

The show without a proper format continues to impress me. There are (as always) no real big laughs here. Just a few smiles. But, the content is so good that laughs are only missed if you're demanding them.

Right now, I'm getting a great joyous feeling of discovery with this show. Maybe you know the feeling? There is so much there, so many episodes. And, contrary to what I had thought, the show is becoming a weekly event. I look forward to the evening when I watch the next one. It comes up to0 quick and it's gone too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment